The Duke of Edinburgh, Prince Philip, the 99-year-old husband of Queen Elizabeth II, was admitted to hospital on Tuesday as a “precautionary measure.”
“His Royal Highness the Duke of Edinburgh was admitted to the King Edward VII hospital in London, on Tuesday evening,” said a statement from Buckingham Palace.
“The Duke’s admission is a precautionary measure, on the advice of His Royal Highness’s doctor, after feeling unwell. The Duke is expected to remain in hospital for a few days of observation and rest.”
The Prince and the Queen were sheltering at Windsor. The Prince had been feeling unwell for a short while and was taken to hospital, which he entered unaided, according to reports. The Queen remains in Windsor.
Both the Queen and the Prince received their first jabs of the COVID-19 vaccination in January. They celebrated their 73rd wedding anniversary in November.
The story of the Prince’s wedding to the Queen is told in hit Netflix series “The Crown.” The series also observes his part in the drama surrounding the relationship between his son Prince Charles, and daughter-in-law Princess Diana.